Monday, August 2, 2010

What's in a name?

With only 8 weeks away we have finally made a decision about our new baby's name. She will be called...

Isabelle Grace
Davin and I have always taken our time when it comes to choosing a name. There is so much to think about! For me I believe that a name means something and that you will most likely live up to it. We named Hudson Lee after the missionary to China Hudson Taylor. He also has Davin's middle name. I've never really found a true meaning behind the name Hudson. We just know that it is a strong name and so far our Hudson has lived up to that!
When I was pregnant with Naomi I discovered that Naomi means delightful and pleasant...Who wouldn't love that! I figured after my strong-willed child I need a delightful and pleasant. She has definitely lived up to her name! Her middle name is Elizabeth which means consecrated to God...we pulled out all the stops on her!
After Naomi was born I began thinking of names for our other children (hoping we would eventually have more!). I really liked the name Isabelle. I thought it would be cute shortened to Belle as well...which in French means beauty or beautiful. Get it...Is a belle? Anyway, so as we were deciding what to call this little bundle of joy we really struggled with her name.
1) because Isabelle is very similar to Isabella (which is the most popular girl name for 2010)
2) there are multiple ways to spell Isabel...Isabelle???
3) Would it be easy to pronounce? When you have names like Davin and Alisia and a last name Benavides, you realize the benefits of having a name that is easy to say and spell.
So with all that being said we have chosen a name and a spelling. So now I can say only 8 more weeks until our Isabelle makes her appearance!
Oh! and in case you were wondering, Isabelle comes from the word Elizabeth so it means concecrated to God.

5 comments:

Pam said...

BEAUTIFUL NAME!!

Unknown said...

what a pretty name!! i can't wait to see her sweet little face on your blog! :o)

Tara said...

A beautiful choice!!!

The Worthey Family said...

I agree ~ beautiful name!

Penny Nordin said...

Love it! So beautiful and feminine. :)