Friday, August 6, 2010

33 Week check-up

poor Naomi...She looks scared to death in this photo! I guess I can't blame her!

I went on Friday for my 33 week check up. Before I tell you what he said here is a little background info on my previous pregnancies...

Pregnancy #1


  • Hudson was full term 40 weeks and 5 days.



  • He also weighed 10 pounds at birth.



  • I gained a total of 50 pounds with him.

Pregnancy #2



  • Naomi was born at 38 weeks after the doctors discovered that my fluid was low, while doing an ultra-sound to check her weight...we didn't want another 10 pound baby, can I get an amen.



  • I gained 40 pounds with her. I also worked very hard at trying not to have a 10 pound baby. I was never quite as large with her as I was with Hudson.



  • When Naomi was born she weighted 6 pounds 12 ounces. (big difference) We just assumed that I did a better job with the pregnancy, or she was a girl he was a boy...I mean they are all different.



So onto pregnancy #3...It has been much more similar to Hudson's pregnancy. I felt like I gained a lot of weight in the beginning and I feel like I am just bigger like I was with him. I've already gained 45 pounds (yikes, I know) Even though I try not to over eat and make healthy choices, I have a hard time not gaining weight. I haven't worked out... I've just been too sick.


So, I say all of this because up until this last appointment I have been measuring right on target. Even though I feel like I am large. Well, Friday I measured 36 cm...that means I am measuring large. Normally your measurements correlate with your week of pregnancy. I'm 33 weeks so that would mean I am measuring 3 weeks ahead of schedule all of a sudden. I do think that Isabelle has turned and is head down now...could that change anything? What really struck me as interesting was that the first thing the doctor said when he saw me was "Your fluid isn't low" I guess he could tell I grow 'em large. Then he told me that low fluid means there is a problem with the placenta. That the placenta controls the amount of fluid and also if there is a problem it can mean a smaller birth weight. So, his conclusion was that Naomi's placenta wasn't functioning properly and that is why there is such a big difference in the birth weights. He said that it had nothing to do with me or what I ate or how I exercised. He also felt my belly and tried to guess that Isabelle might already be 6 pounds or so. He said I am on track to have another 10 pounder, and really there isn't much I can do about it. I'll go for an ultra-sound in 4 weeks to check her weight.



You know, with Naomi they thought she might be large too...But I guess it is a great thing that Hudson was so large, because they may not have checked me so soon with Naomi. God works in ways sometimes we just don't understand. So, if you are out there and have had a large or small baby and any of this makes sense leave me a comment. I can't wait to hear what the doctor has to say next time...

6 comments:

Larissa said...

You are doing great, girl!

3 of my 4 babies were all very close in weight. between 6lb 12oz and 7lb 1oz. (Aaron 6 lb 12oz, Martin 7lb 1oz, Rosalie 6 lb 15oz) So, those 3 were all within a few ounces of each other.
Jonathan was 8 lb 9 oz. Not really that big - but huge compared to my others. I gained less weight with him that with my others too. I only gained 22 pounds when pregnant with J. The others I gained between 27-30!! J has been bigger all the way through his ages and stages than my other 3 have been, though.
It's interesting, though to compare them!!

Travelin Fam said...

i gained over 40 lbs with Truette and Phoebe. Truette- 8 lbs 6 oz Phoebe- 7 lbs 11 oz. I gained 18 lbs with Lola and she was just over 7 lbs. So I gain weight (usually when I am not sick as a dog) and have normal sized babies.

Penny Nordin said...

I was told that Lukas' head circumference was the 99th percentile several times based on ultrasounds, and was scared to death to deliver! Especially since it was my first pregnancy!

Well. . . he weighed 8 lb., 6 oz., but thank the Lord his head was only the 55th percentile! :) (Oh, and I gained 40 pounds also!) Super easy delivery.

So. . . they are not always correct, even with the awesome technology that we have these days. :) Hang in there!

ME said...

Mine were all around the same size, and all mine were born before 40 weeks.
*Emma: born 38 weeks on the nose, 7lb 7oz, gained 37 lbs, sick until 11 weeks.
*Anna: born 36 weeks 6 days (she was considered pre-term) 7lb 1oz, gained 22 lbs with her, sick until 13 weeks.
*Lizzy born 37 weeks on the nose, 6lb 4oz only gained 19 lbs with her, sick until 12 weeks with her.
*Jack was born at 38 weeks 6 days and was 6lb 15oz, gained 18 lbs, sick until 17 weeks and the sickness came back around 37 weeks :(

I have to tell you I did not exercise or use any type of restraint when it came to food with any of mine! I was sick with all of mine too, so when I was hungry I ate whatever looked and sounded good! I measured big will all of mine, the doctors said each time if I carried them full term I would have at least a 9lb baby, they may have been right with Anna, but the rest were little! So far Jack has been my smallest and he's my only boy! I always use what the doctors say as just a guideline :)

Nick & Meg Smith said...

Who knows why He knits one, one way, and one, another way? How great are His ways? Who can comprehend them? Praying with you for a healthy delivery and beautiful baby girl! You might grow them big, but they are all adorable!

The Miley Family said...

well. hum....i can only say that i am excited to meet this new addition to your sweet family. i think you are beautiful, radiant & will do wonderful! this child will be very different & the same as the other 2 at the same time....different: uniquely made by God, our Lord, Saviour, Creator. same: a tiny (we pray) little babe, needing you for everything- precious, sweet & that new baby smell, too!!!! SO EXCITED!!!! She will be here SO SOON!!!!!! Praying for all of YOU!