Thursday, August 5, 2010

First Day of School

After almost 6 years of being home with mom, Hudson started Kindergarten today! We were all very excited and a little sad. He was ready. We went yesterday and met with his teachers and got to see his classroom. He told me this morning that he was excited. His main prayer request for today was that they would get to have two recesses. I really believe this is going to be a great year for him! I look forward to getting to know his teachers and some other mom's in our local community.
Here I am making my first ever school lunch... This morning I got a picture of him in front of the door ready to go...and yes he chose that shirt!


Walking into school...


In his classroom, at his table...

I asked Hudson this morning if he needed a kissing hand. (it comes from the book The Kissing Hand) He said that he didn't need one because he was brave! He was very excited about school, and in case you were wondering no tears were shed...a few watery eyes, but no tears. I think Naomi has been the most emotional of us all. I plan on taking her to a special lunch today to help soothe the pain. Also, she is taking dance. I tried to find things for her so she doesn't feel left out!
I know many of you will wonder, 'why aren't you homeschooling?' That's a great question! Yes, last year we did PreK at home. It went really well, and I LOVE the concept of homeschooling. I feel like we were able to move Hudson along, and help him mature enough to be ready for school this year. After I got pregnant, let's be honest, homeschooling took a nose dive! I was just so sick that I wasn't able to keep up with everything. As we began praying about school for this next year we felt like it would be best for Hudson to attend school away from home. We prayed and prayed and searched out all our options. We looked at the public school, private schools, and half private/half homeschool. As we began searching we felt like the public school system in our area exceeded all our expectations! We definitely had a peace about sending Hudson there. Of course we will take everything year by year, and we will evaluate what is best for our family and children. I definitely plan on being involved with the school as much as possible. I also look forward to my days at home with Naomi and Isabelle(when she arrives).

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

so glad you shared this special day via the blog...it makes me get choked up to just think about what this day must feel like...AK is going to the private Kindergarten at Bayleaf where I teach Preschool, so while the big transition to K is still there, i really don't have the same kind of transition that you (& many other of my friends) are having where she will be away all day...just one more year. so cool to see how the Lord truly leads each family/child.
please give us a post telling us all about the first day from his perspective! would LOVE to hear how it all went!
have a super special sweet time with just you and naomi, as thee days of just he 2 of you are short. :)

Nick & Meg Smith said...

Oh, Alisia! I would have totally lost it. I so teared up just reading the post. We are so thrilled for you two that your lil one is growing into quite a young man. We are praying for the arrival of Isabelle and all of the new adventures this fall!

Miss you dear friend. Love and a warm hug!

Meg

Tara said...

What a great post! It seems like just yesterday Hudson was a toddler, and now he's all grown up and in Kindergarten! Looks and sounds like he will have a great year!