Thursday, January 22, 2009

Healthy Living

One of my new years resolutions was to take better care of my family. After we went through several sick doctors visits I decided that there has got to be something I can do to help. One thing I decided I could do was make sure that the foods we eat are healthy for us. Another goal was to buy organic as much as possible all while stay in our weekly grocery budget. While on my hunt for better food my friend Elizabeth shared this book with me..."What the Bible says about Healthy Living" by Rex Russell, M.D.

A few years ago I read the book "The Maker's Diet" the two books are very similar in principle, but I have to say that Rex Russell's book is much better than "The Maker's Diet". If you haven't read it yet, I suggest you do. There are three main principles that are supper easy to follow...

1 Eat the things that God created for food
2 Eat the things that God created for food before they have been altered or changed
3 Avoid food addictions

Since the beginning of the year we have been eating better, and feeling better as well. I've noticed that the kid's behaviors have also improved! It has been a challenge for me to find new recipes, but fun to try out new things. The kids seem to enjoy it too! One night we made homemade tortillas. They loved pressing them flat! (Thanks, Elizabeth for letting us borrow your press) Here is Hudson pressing out a tortilla. Naomi was helping too, but she refused to smile for the camera.
Here is the finished product. We ate them with my homemade (organic) salsa and freshly shredded cheese. I also cut up an avocado for me and Naomi.

There has been one glitch in my plans....Bread! For the life of me I can't seem to make bread. I have tried several times. My sister April even gave me her bread machine and this is what happened. I am not going to give up and who knows maybe one day I'll mill my own flour!

7 comments:

eloise jones said...

Hello my name is Eloise Jones I really enjoyed reading your blog. I really enjoy reading about your family. Its good to meet or come in contact with some people who lvve to talk about the Lord.Hope to here from you and your family soon. God Bless Eloise Jones. P.S I would like to ask you and your family to pray for my granddaugther we find out that she have a heart mumur.

eloise jones said...

I will go and buy that book its time for me and my family to eat healthy.

Unknown said...

Hi there. A few more resources for 'ya...I LOVE Dr. Russell's book too!

1. I just am now going down the bread road and found the people and resources at www.breadbeckers.com (and their $6 recipe collection) VERY helpful.

2. I, um, just put out the companion cookbook to Dr. Russell's book, if you're interested. You can find out more at www.BSACookbook.com. There are also excerpts available at the publisher's page.

Keep up the good work!
Hope Egan

Tara said...

Alisia,

What a New Year's Resolution! But I am so glad that it is working (and from your FB status it sounds like you made a loaf of bread today!) The 3 principles that you listed are what Barry Seneri (Jimmy Perrott's son in law)from church claims will save your life! Especially the one about eating the foods that God intended, in their purest forms... I look forward to reading more posts about this! Way to go, girl!

Elizabeth said...

I think you altered the bread to make it look worse than it was...LOL!

Gina said...

I think you guys are so cool. And, seeing the bread amazes me considering all your culinary talent! We ordered the book - our's is too hard to follow. Can you email me and tell me more and how to make those tortillas? Miss you all so much! I, in the meantime, am beginning the cloth diaper journey. We will see how it goes!

Margaret said...

I love milling my own wheat! It has been a wonderful thing for our family. The investment in the mill was worth every penny. We now have healthy muffins, pancakes, bread, cookies, etc. I highly recommend the breadbeckers.